Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Baidarka progress

I finally finished running oak through the band saw (wore one blade down to rounded nubs).


I started with a 6" section of log (largest I can get through the saw), then cut that into 2" boards, then cut those into 5/16 slats.


Then I took the best 33 potential ribs and ran them through the planer.


I am nearly done, just have to cut them to width on the table saw.

Meanwhile, attaching the bow and stern blocks required pegs.


I happened to have several strips of oak that hadn't qualified as ribs, so I squared some of it up and made pegs.  (In woodworking a square peg in a round hole is a *good* thing!)


The exciting part is drilling the peg holes - making sure all the parts stay perfectly lined up and making sure the drill stays in the wood for the full two inches!!!.


With the blocks in place, it's time to split them and then lash them together.  The goal is to allow the frame to flex so the boat gives with the waves instead of smashing through them.

The "artificial sinew" is waxed nylon.  It is very strong and holds well.  I am using a bent piece of wire instead of a sailor's needle and finding it works very nicely.


Now for the deck beams.  Each one is unique.  The foredeck slopes down to the bow, the gunwale is both slanted sideways and curved differently at each beam, and finally some silly person decided to mortise the beams instead of pegging them so each tenon has to be cut to perfectly fit the slot in the gunwale.


It takes me about an hour of careful measuring, cutting, and fitting for each one.  First roughing it out on the band saw, then finishing off with hand saw, chisels, plane, file, and sandpaper.


I have them all in place.  Still have to do some final fitting so the tenons are all flush in the mortises.

Then I get to bend the ribs!  And then bow and stern, and keel and deck stringers, and then skin.

Will be really interesting to see whether I get the boat finished before the water freezes.

No comments:

Post a Comment